Frinton is a coastal town in Essex adjacent to Walton on Naze to the north
and Clacton (Holland on Sea) to the South.
Until late Victorian Times, Frinton-on-Sea was a church, several
farms and a handful of cottages. In the 1890s, the original developer of the town, Peter Bruff (after whom Peter Bruff Ave
in Clacton on Sea is named), was bought out by R Powell Cooper. Mr Cooper prohibited Public Houses and the first pub
opened in Frinton on Sea as late as 2000.
In the first half of the 20th century, the town attracted visitors
from high society with a lido, a tennis tournaments second only to Wimbledon, a golf club frequented by the Prince of Wales
and Connaught Avenue known as East Anglia's Bond Street. Frinton is still popular today. Its wide
greenswards, although built as a sea defence measure in the early 1900s, gives an open airy feel to the seafront. It
has a sandy beach, more than a mile/1.60km long, with wardens in season, and an area of sea zoned for swimming, sailing and
windsurfing. The shore is lined by a promenade with several hundred beach huts which still change hands at an alarmingly high
Frinton is home to the Frinton Summer Theatre Season at the McGrigor Hall. Started in in 1937,
each year it now offers a summer season programme and is now run by the actor Ed Max.