About St Osyth

St. Osyth is a village in Essex located about 5 miles/8kms to the west of Clacton-on-Sea and 12 miles/19kms southeast of Colchester.

It is named after Osyth, a saint and daughter of the first Christian King of East Anglia.  The centre of the village is dominated by the medieval remains of the Priory (construction started in 1118) on its 383 acres of land.  The priory was established for the Augustine Canons and became one of the great Augustine Abbeys of Europe.  It is currently being used as a private residence.

VisitEssexStOsyth/VE-StOsythPriory.jpg

Images provided courtesy of Visitessex.com

Other points of interest is the small harbour, used by seafarers for mooring and boat repairs. The western side of St Osyth beach has been set aside for those who practice nudism, although all are welcome.  
 
St. Osyth is an area which has become a favourite place for holidaymakers, the majority of whom use static caravan and chalet facilities to raise the population from about 4000 to over 20,000 in the summer months.

Sources - visit the sites for more information:
Wikipedia-StOsyth
More useful links:

VisitClacton/PgRtSidespacerNov12.jpg

Logos/AMEXWelcome_Hor_xsm_111x47.gif Logos/Maestro.gif Logos/Mcard.gif Logos/Visa.gif

All card transactions are
SecBySP.jpg

Visit our NHS Partners at www.healthstaffdiscounts.co.uk